Blue Health Intelligence (BHI®) is the nation's premier health intelligence resource.
It is a leader in the movement to provide greater healthcare transparency by delivering data-driven information about healthcare trends and best practices, resulting in healthier lives and affordable access to safe and effective care.
BHI brings together the healthcare experience of more than 110 million individuals nationwide collected over seven years in a safe and secure claims database. All member health information is fully protected under the safeguards established by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), and is masked and encrypted. The collective experience of BHI creates:
- the broadest, deepest pool of claims information ever created, and it's growing
- the industry's most reliable resource to help employers' planning and decision-making
- the foundation of the Blues' approach to evidence-based healthcare to help delvier higher quality care, improve health, and manage cost.
BHI helps employers give their employees greater confidence in the value of their benefits. BHI creates new collaboration opportunities for physicians, researchers and health policy makers — working together with the Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies — to improve the quality and consistency of care.
Good Decisions Begin with Great Information
Employers and analytics that are customers of Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies participating in BHI are leveraging BHI's comprehensive information – including comparisons with companies in their industries – to gain insights into a wide variety of healthcare trends including:
- inpatient, outpatient and professional services utilization and cost variances
- demographic and risk trends
- opportunities to identify and address high-cost claims experiences
The reporting is comprised of aggregate, claims-based data that is HIPAA-compliant. BHI information is supporting research to enhance Blue Distinction®, a designation awarded by the Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies to medical facilities demonstrating expertise in delivering quality healthcare.
More information on BHI
The Blue Cross and Blue Shield System consists of 36 independently operated Blue Cross and Blue Shield member companies, a Federal Employee Program and an Association, which serves the collective needs of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans.